5 Habits for a Healthy Smile in 2017
At the outset of the new year, many of us make resolutions to do certain things better. If you had a few more cavities than you would have liked last year, you might have made having better oral hygiene one of your goals for this year. Don't worry -- it's not as difficult as it seems. To make sure you follow through on your resolution this year, follow these five simple tips for a healthier smile.
- Avoid sodas and other sugary drinks. Most people are aware that soda is not a healthy beverage option. A single can of soda may contain over 30 grams of sugar. However, you may not realize that your favorite fruit juice contains nearly as much sugar as a soda. Since you're sipping it slowly over a period of time, the sugar has ample opportunity to get between your teeth. If dark colas and other beverages have stained your teeth, be sure to try Zoom teeth whitening at our Howell, NJ office.
- Chew gum after a meal. Since it's not always practical to brush your teeth in the middle of the day while you're at work or school, chewing gum can help you produce more saliva, which will aid in neutralizing acids. Make sure the gum you select is sugar-free; one containing xylitol will be your best choice, as this natural sugar may help to reduce cavities.
- Change your toothbrush regularly. Over time, bacteria builds up on your toothbrush, so if you don't change it, you're just transferring that bacteria back to your mouth. Changing your brush every two to three months is sufficient. Make sure to choose a soft bristle brush to avoid damaging your enamel.
- Floss, floss, floss. You probably hear this one every time you visit the office: "You need to floss more." That's because the majority of cavities occur between teeth, where your toothbrush can't reach. If you find yourself discouraged by tangled-up floss, try using an interdental brush instead.
- Visit your dentist regularly for a checkup. One of the most crucial things you can do to maintain a healthy smile this year is to visit the dentist at least twice a year. This helps to detect any problems, such as cavities, before they become major issues.
If the mere thought of going to the dentist makes you anxious, we invite you to visit our family dentistry in Howell, NJ. Our friendly, patient staff members will be sure to ease your worries and give you the most pleasant experience possible.